The holidays are in full swing. People are busy planning parties, shopping, trying to reach goals for the year, making travel plans. Probably not the best time to sell your home, right?
This could be an opportune time to sell your home. Of course, there are some cons to trying to sell at this time of year, but selling now offers you some distinct advantages over waiting until after the first of the year.
- People looking for a home over the holidays are more likely going to be serious buyers.
- A lot of sellers take their homes off the market, which means serious buyers have fewer homes to choose from
- Less competition right now means more money for you.
- The number of homes on the market will drastically increase after the first of the year. Less demand means less money.
- Houses show better when they’re decorated over the holidays.
- Buyers are more emotional during the holidays and tend to spend more money, which means you can get closer to your asking price.
- Because they are likely to be on vacation, buyers have more time to look at new homes over the holidays and are more likely to come on weekdays.
- The tax break they receive is a motivating factor for many buyers.
- Companies traditionally use January to relocate employees who can't wait until there are more homes available in the spring.
It should be noted that there are some drawbacks to selling your home during the holidays. You may prefer not to schedule showings and closings at this time. You may not want to move during this time – not only are schedules hectic, the weather is not always cooperative. Speaking of the weather, if you live in a colder climate, snow and ice cuts down on foot traffic.
If you’re considering selling your home, it could be the best time of year to sell. Talk to your REALTOR® to discuss your options.